The History of The Carrier Houses
Rutherfordton's "Golden Age" spanned from 1814 to 1845. During this time period Rutherfordton was the center for gold production in the United States. It was also the location of the Bechtler Mint where the first gold dollars were minted in the United States. The town grew in population and commercial industry.
It was to this prosperous region that Harvey Dewey Carrier, Tinsmith/Carpenter decided to move in 1822 seeking relief from his asthma. Two of the five homes he is known to have built are side by side on Main Street. His residence, now registered as the Carrier-McBrayer house, was built around 1835.
The Carrier-Ward house contains five guest bedrooms, each with a private bathroom. It is now a Vacation Rental home and is available for meetings, receptions, anniversaries, reunions, and other gatherings, formal and informal.
Each house has a guest parlor, fully equipped kitchen and dining room.
These changes were made about 1879, when Mr. Carrier constructed the Victorian Carrier-Ward House next door.
The entrance door is double leaf with round etched glass panels above wood panels and protected by a double leaf screen door with spindles and cutouts. Two other identical doors exist on front of each bay.
There are many other architectural features, which make this house a landmark in the community.